Foods to Avoid with Fistula
My patients often ask about foods to avoid with fistula. Live Positive treats about 15 new Fistula in ano patients each week and each of them need advice regarding the fistula in ano diet.
So instead of advising each of them separately, we realized that it would be convenient and time-saving to create a detailed and informative post about what foods to avoid with fistula and what foods to be included in a fistula in ano diet.
Diet forms a crucial part of Live Positive fistula treatment protocol. In addition to our medications, patients are advised to adopt a healthy diet and lifestyle to speed-up the recovery process and to maintain good health.
Small changes in eating habits can promote early recovery from Fistula in ano. This article covers the fistula patient diet in detail.
Best Food for Fistula-What to Eat
The best food for fistula is fiber and best drink is water. If you are suffering from anal fistula, make it a point drink plenty of water and consume high fiber foods.
- Use half a cup of raw cabbage juice. It softens the stools and soft stools are easy to pass.
- Add fruits, vegetables, and nuts in your daily diet. They are amazing in taste and fulfill your nutritional requirements too. They also have plenty of fibers which prevent constipation and make passage of stool easier. Citrus fruits are rich in Vitamin C which helps in healing internal and external wounds. Examples of citrus fruits are lemons, oranges, strawberries, and tomatoes. Similarly, almonds, cashew, and peanuts have zinc which also help in wound healing. If using raw fruits and vegetables cause indigestion you can use them after baking or steaming.
- Replace white flour with brown flour or brown rice.
- A glass of milk with a spoon of clarified butter (ghee) can help in softening the stool.
- Make a drink by adding a teaspoon of lemon juice and honey to a cup of hot water. Replace your tea and coffee with this nutritional drink.
- Drink one or two glasses of orange juice per day.
- Cucumber has plenty of fibers and water. So, add a cup of cucumber salad to your daily diet.
Foods to Avoid with Fistula
- Steer clear of spicy foods. Consuming hot and spicy foods can worsen pain, discomfort and bleeding during defecation.
- Avoid large meals and rich foods that are loaded with oil, spices, seasonings etc.
- Avoid fast foods like pizza, burgers, chips, fries etc.
- Avoid frozen foods.
- Avoid foods with preservatives like packed juices and soft drinks.
- Do not consume caffeine and alcohol. Caffeine and alcohol cause dehydration so it is better to avoid them in Fistula in ano.
- Do not delay the urge to defecation. If your body signals some bowel movement, try not to delay, as delaying will harden stool and hard stool is not only difficult to pass, but also triggers bleeding and discharge.
- Avoid too much of sugar, refined white flour, hydrogenated oils etc.
- Avoid late-night eating. Make sure that the last meal of the day is at least two hours before your bed time.
Healthy Lifestyle for Fistula Patients
- Make proactive attempts at ensuring a good night’s sleep. Refreshing and healthy sleep can prevent a lot of problems associated with anal fistula.
- Try Yoga, meditation, Zen exercises etc. to avoid stress-induced injury to the body.
- Make Seitz bath a part of your daily routine. You can also add salt or analgesic oils in warm water. Our patients are advised about homeopathic medications to be added to their Seitz bath water.
Fistula Cure in Homeopathy
The above fistula diet is recommended for every patient who is suffering from Anal fistula, but diet and healthy lifestyle ALONE will NOT cure your fistula. If you are looking for a permanent and safe fistula cure, you must get in touch with us right away.
Surgery is the only treatment offered in conservative Modern medicine/ Allopathy, but it is definitely NOT a cure. Patients who have undergone fistula surgery certainly come back with renewed attacks of fistula within 1-10 years of undergoing surgery.
To get permanent and effective fistula cure in homeopathy, click on the blue button below to start a live WhatsApp chat with our Senior Consultant Dr.Kavita.